Photovoltaic (PV) panels technical specifications
- These are the black rectangular panels, usually installed in an array on the roof or on a stand, with maximum exposure to sunlight.
- PV panels receive radiation energy and convert it to direct current (DC) electricity. The output electricity is influenced by temperature, the amount of sunlight, reflection from the panels, dirt on the panels, etc.
- The electricity from the panels is in a rough form, and will very quickly ruin a battery if connected directly.
- They usually have a long life expectancy, commonly with more than 80% output after 20 years.
- Available in monocrystalline and polycrystalline. Polycrystalline is usually slightly cheaper, with a slightly shorter life expectancy.
- Prices are usually compared in Rand per Watt.
- The amount and configuration of the panels depending on the amount of Watts and Volts necessary, and if the energy has to be stored for later use or immediate consumption.